Constipation is one of the most common health problems related to pregnancy. Although quite familiar and popular it’s at least mentioned in the issue of abortion. Embarrassment and reluctance when mentioning the problem of intestinal dysfunction of us made many women think that they are the only one having problems.
Constipation is a symptom rather than a disease. This is the normal pregnancy symptoms, the result of a sedentary lifestyle, diet or other diseases.
1. What is constipation?
Constipation related to the shipping of these small and solid waste in the intestines. It relates to the consistency rather than the regularity of the motion in the intestine. As is long in the intestine, the water in the waste has been re-uptake into the body more and more.
One of the main functions of the large intestine is to absorb less water back through the intestinal mucosa. In some people, the waste of existence for too long in the intestine that wasn’t taken out will lose water, become hard and dry.
A role of the large intestine is to screen pushing the waste along the intestine toward the rectum. If there is the interruption in this process, the waste will be back longer than needed and cause constipation.
The body needs a certain amount of water to help waste forming and moving in the intestine. There is little water will cause pain when moving the push down of intestinal waste, leading to pain in the anus and sometimes cause a loss of water in the tissues. It can also lead to the problem of bad breath, body feeling tired and sluggish.
2. Why symptoms of constipation during pregnancy common?
A number of factors contribute lead to constipation during pregnancy, including:
– Progesterone. This hormone plays a role in soothing the ligaments to prepare for childbirth. But it also has caused the scaling of the wiring and loose in the bowels.
– Changes in diet, and nausea. The amount of water circulating in the body reduces also affect digestion.
– The weight of the fetus in the uterus, bowels and override the impact of this work up the gaps in the abdomen causing intestinal movements become more difficult.
– The activity of small intestine was weakened. This affects the transition of food from the stomach, along with the small intestine and colon.
– Intestinal movement slowed.
– Some foods tend to aggravate constipation as milk, dairy foods, too much red meat and cheese. Protein dense foods may be difficult to digest than plant foods rich in fiber and whole grains. Many women have changed the diet during pregnancy.
– Iron supplements can also lead to constipation. Some women find that they cannot continue taking iron supplements because of witness constipation worse. Use the foods such as green leafy vegetables more iron, red meats and legumes … instead.
– Constipation is also common in women who were dependent on laxatives to go potty, or who ever abuse laxatives in the past.
– Ignore the sign need to go to the toilet. Going to go to the bathroom, don’t go right when in need or ignore the signals of the body … all can lead to constipation. Over time, this can lead to changes in the general condition of the large intestine and rectum, meaning the body less receptive to common secretion signals.
3. What to do to treat constipation during pregnancy?
A healthy diet with large amounts of fiber, raw foods are soluble and insoluble. Soluble fiber will dissolve in water environment of the small intestine. In the end, it’s like a soft gel so will easily out of the body. Examples of soluble fiber found in potatoes and pumpkin. Insoluble fiber is excreted out of the body with the same way as when it went in, for example, maize, carrots.
The amount of fiber recommended daily consumption during pregnancy is 25-28 grams/day.
Drink plenty of water, about 2.5-3 liters a day if possible, this can really help you avoid and treat constipation.
Regular exercise and more. Swimming, walking, yoga and gentle exercise to control weight is the ideal solution when pregnant.
Some women may need to use these drugs have the fecal softener. They reduce the transition of countries in the process of hygiene should be able to keep the stool soft and easy release.
However, it should consult the advice of a physician before using any drugs during pregnancy.
Enema and anal stuffed, the lubricating oil should only be used when there are supervision and medical guide.
Exclude other diseases that can cause constipation in pregnancy is also important. Diabetes pregnancy, symptoms pregnancy nausea, hemorrhoids or weak borders, … all can lead to the possibility of constipation.
4. What kind of food would be useful for her vote when constipated?
– Any vegetables or fresh fruit.
– Leafy vegetables such as lettuce, broccoli, Chinese green vegetables or lettuce leaves.
– Carrots, pumpkin, sweet potatoes and corn.
– Dried fruits and nuts especially almonds, Brazil nuts, grapes, apricots, and plums.
– Fruits such as raspberry, strawberry, cranberry, and blueberry.
– Whole grains, bread, brown rice, wheat, and lentils.
– Breakfast cereals, especially with unprocessed bran and oatmeal. Avoid eating whole grains that are steamed or baked chips a squeeze. Things are too preliminary carefully compared to the original status. Because, the more impact, more processing in the process of preparing the food as do lose the original nutritional value.
– Eat fresh food as possible and to food hygiene carefully before eating.
5. Things to avoid she elected to constipation to note and other factors that can help treat constipation in she voted
Mineral oil laxative the sensitivity, such as vegetable oil and the laxatives can be dangerous during pregnancy. When strong impact can lead to premature birth.
Take the time to sit on the toilet without being affected every day. May be after breakfast, lunch or dinner and try not to be hurried. Bring a book, read newspapers, lock the door and try to relax.
Avoid stress and sitting too long. To be able to squat for longer in the toilet, you can tilt forward with elbows on knees, knees will have the task of helping a weight section to help you.
Avoid drinking too much coffee. This can affect diuretic/dehydration synthesis of influences, causing constipation. Filtered water, fruit juices, and mineral water/soda are reasonable alternatives.
Some drugs have the effect of causing constipation. Ask your pharmacist to find alternative drugs and avoid this side effect.
Avoid ignoring signals your body to urge the need to go to the bathroom. Busy work, lack of privacy and self-conscious, feeling stress … may lead to the concessions go to the bathroom in time is longer than necessary.
Constipation is not a rare syndrome after childbirth. In the first week after birth, the pain around the perineum and anus are common. Feeling the pain appears more common in mothers have been sewn by episiotomy or required stitches. When breastfeeding, it is important that the mother will have to drink more water again, because constipation also often occurs in this period.
Constipation during pregnancy can lead to developing into hemorrhoids (mudskipper dom). They can cause pain and discomfort actually after childbirth. Need to clearly see the benefits in maintaining regular potty routine and comfortable. Many women also carry bran, legumes, nuts, and seeds to soften the stool to the hospital. Need to remember to have your doctor or midwife to check whether they have been contraindicated when you breastfeed or not.